The Dakota County Soil Conservation District was organized by local farmers and certified by the Secretary of State on February 11, 1944 through State Statue 103C.
The Soil Conservation District's name was later changed to the "Dakota County Soil and Water Conservation District" (SWCD) in February of 1959.
SWCDs were formed in the early to mid 1940s in response to national concern over floods, erosion, and the dust storms of the 1930s. During this time, the Dakota County SWCDs primary goal
was to work with local farmers to establish practices to conserve soil and increase production on their land.
Today, the SWCD works in partnership with federal, state, and local governments to conserve and manage land and water resources across the county.